Bill van Gilder Workshop
The Functional Pot; Tools & Techniques
April 4th - 5th 2020
Registration for Workshop to Come
Description of Workshop
Every potter has a list of WHAT they want to make. HOW to make it, is often the question.
During this two-day, information-loaded, demo-workshop some 50+ making techniques will be demonstrated in answer to these ‘how-to’ questions; techniques participants will want to use and adjust to fit their own future work. Short cuts, tips and tool-use at the wheel will be shared through demo after demo.
In addition to throwing techniques, hand-building functional forms will be the focus during part of the demonstrations.
Throughout his 50+ yrs. of making functional pots, Bill has collected hundreds of techniques used to make specific pots, both wheel-thrown and hand-built.
Wheel techniques to be demonstrated will include:
- Efficient hand positions for throwing
- Simple tools and their use
- Lid arrangements and form
- Spout, rim and lip making and proportions
- Trimming and foot finishing possibilities
- Faceting and fluting as decoration
- Handles and lugs – both pulled and hand built
- Making bottle forms – collaring techniques
- Making dinnerware – throwing and trimming
- Making squared and oval baking ware
- Wet, thick slip decoration
- And more…
A sampling of forms to be demonstrated:
- Open and lidded casseroles
- Pitchers and pouring pots
- Cups and mugs
- Bowl forms
- Bottle forms
Hand-building demonstrations may include:
- Slumped oval slab platter making
- Humped squared plate making
- Foot attachment possibilities – slab, sprigged & coiled
- Textured decoration – wet slip, pressed, and resisted textures
Participants are welcome to take photos, and are encouraged to bring a notebook.
A discussion about glazes will take place during the workshop, and Bill will provide ^6 oxidation, ^8-9-10 gas, and salt/soda wood-firing slips & glaze recipe sheets to each participant.
The demo workshop days on April 4-5 will be preceded by a 1 to 2 hr. slide show/lecture on the evening of April 3.
A selection of van Gilder ClayTools potter’s hand-tools and a sampling of Bill’s current work will be available for participant purchase.